138 Dirksen Drive, DeBary, FL US 32713
Eyes on Jesus: Salvation
1 Corinthians 1:18-31
FOUR GOALS OF OUR STUDY IN 1 CORINTHIANS
PROCLAMATION AND DEMONSTRATION
- Focus (and refocus) on Jesus
- Dealing honestly with sexual issues
- Engage in meaningful relationships
- Share Jesus with clarity and relevance
1 CORINTHIANS 1:18-31
EYES ON JESUS: SALVATION
- Where did you come from? (Origin)
- Who am I? (Identity)
- Why am I here? (Meaning)
- How should I live? (Morality)
- Where am I going? (Destiny)
(Taken from: I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist, Geisler and Turek)
WORLDVIEWS (not an exhaustive list)
NATURALISM: No God. Humans evolved from animals. Universe closed physical system.
SECULARISM: Truth must be proven by science. Make the most out of life. Only the here and now.
POSTMODERNISM: No objective truth or moral standards. Right and wrong determined by society.
PANTHEISM: The impersonal god is one essence with the universe.
PLURALISM: All religions are equally valid. There are many paths to God.
MORALISTIC THERAPEUTIC DEISM: God just wants us to be happy and nice to other people. He only intervenes when we ask him.
NEW SPIRITUALITY: All people pray to the same god or spirit no matter what name they use for the spiritual being. If you do good, you will receive good. If you do bad, you will receive bad.
THE CHRISTIAN WORLDVIEW IS CHRISTOCENTRIC—CENTERED ON JESUS.
THE CHRISTIAN WORLDVIEW: 5 THINGS TO “BOAST” ABOUT
1 CORINTHIANS 1:30-31
- I AM “IN CHRIST.”
- I belong to Jesus (Jer. 43:1-3)
- I am a new creation (2 Cor. 5:17)
- JESUS IS MY “WISDOM FROM GOD”
- I have the “mind of Christ” (1 Cor. 2:16)
- I have the Holy Spirit (John 16:13)
- JESUS MADE ME RIGHT BEFORE GOD
- I am declared righteous (forensic righteousness)
- I am made righteous (imputed righteousness)
- The Holy Spirit allows me to live a righteous life (empowered righteousness)
- JESUS SET ME APART
- I have been set apart for a special purpose (Eph. 2:10; Jer. 29:11-13)
- JESUS REDEEMED ME
- I have been “bought with a price” (1 Cor. 6:20; 1 Pet. 1:18-19)
- I have been redeemed to be “zealous for good works” (Titus 2:14)
Let’s examine our authenticity in living out our faith.
Other sermons in the series
Focus on Jesus. Read the Word.
God’s work is real in your life—even in your deepest failure.
Unity is always centered on Jesus.
The Christian worldview is Christocentric—centered on Jesus.
The Spirit enables us to live out the mind of Christ.
Our Heavenly Father calls us to model His character.
The Christian builds on the foundation of Jesus.